A visit to Cleveleys and Lytham St Annes

Spent a nice day in these places yesterday:

Cleveleys (with its neighbouring town of Thornton, collectively known as Thornton-Cleveleys) is a town on the Fylde Coast of Lancashire, England, about 4 miles north of Blackpool and 2 miles south of Fleetwood. It is part of the Borough of Wyre.

Mentioned in the Domesday Book William the Conqueror surveyors recorded “Torenton”. Cleveleys was formerly called “Ritherholm” and that name almost certainly derived from the rivulet that flowed into the sea there. It was also called “Gregoroth,” but that name lasted about less than a month. Thornton is mentioned in the Domesday Book but its much younger neighbour, Cleveleys, a bustling seaside resort as we know it today, does contain buildings dating back to the late eighteenth century however was largely developed in the 19th century around a hotel owned by a Mr Cleveleys. Incidentally, Cleveleys means woodland clearing near a cliff or bank.

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_01

The two towns are linked by Victoria Road, and the Blackpool to Fleetwood tram line runs through the centre of Cleveleys. The nearest station is Poulton-le-Fylde railway station. Cleveleys is separated from Fleetwood by Rossall School.


Cleveleys’s wide sandy beach and promenade (currently undergoing redevelopment) provide sea views over the Irish Sea to the west and Morecambe Bay and the Lake District mountains to the north. Tourists flock to the seaside town every summer to enjoy the seaside entertainment, bingo halls and shopping on the main street. The extensive £20m redevelopment of the Promenade now includes a 21st Century makeover with a wide walkway and public piazza with bandstand. The aim is to use the area to host local, national and international events throughout the year. The architecture and construction of the new promenade has won numerous national awards

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_02

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_03

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_04

Lytham St Annes is a conurbation in the Fylde district of Lancashire, England. The neighbouring towns of Lytham and St-Annes-on-Sea (the latter nearly always abbreviated to St Annes) have grown together and now form a seaside resort, sometimes seen as a smaller and more genteel alternative to nearby Blackpool. Lytham and St Annes, together with the smaller communities of Ansdell and Fairhaven, retain their individuality and are described in more detail below.

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_05

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_06

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_07

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_08

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_09

The towns are situated on the Fylde coast, south of Blackpool at the point where the coastline turns east to form the estuary of the River Ribble leading inland to Preston. St Annes is situated on the northern side of the turning and, like Blackpool, overlooks the Irish Sea, whereas Lytham is on the eastern side and overlooks the Ribble estuary.

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_101

Lytham St Annes is internationally renowned for golf, and has four courses, the most notable being the Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club, one of the host courses for the Open Championship, also known as the “British Open”, which has been a competition course since first hosting the Open in 1926. Approximately once every ten years, the coming of The Open – a major sporting event – brings a major influx of visitors, including the world’s media, into a fairly peaceful community.

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_11

Lytham Windmill in Lytham St Annes has been one of the most recognisable landmarks in Lancashire ever since it was built in 1805 to produce flour and oatmeal.
It was damaged by fire in 1919 and was rebuilt two years later. Now owned by Fylde Borough Council, it houses an exhibition devoted to its history.

lytham_st_annes_cleveleys_lancastria_12

One thought on “A visit to Cleveleys and Lytham St Annes

  1. Neuschwanstein

    Historic Lytham windmill is opening to the public for the first time this year on Thursday 1 April 2010.

    The well known landmark has been popular with visitors since it was built in 1805.

    Inside the windmill there are exhibits showing the history of mills and milling and also a tableau of life in Victorian Lytham.

    From 1 April until 11 April the Grade II listed building will be open between 10.30am and 1pm and from 2pm to 4.30pm.

    The four-storey building did not originally have the white plinth upon which it appears to sit. That was added later to keep onlookers away from the sails after a boy grabbed one and then fell to his death.

    In its heyday, until fire forced closure in 1919, its millstones ground wheat and oats into flour, meal and bran.

    It was given to the people of Lytham in 1921 and Fylde Council carried out a refurbishment in 1987. It is run by Lytham Heritage Group.

Leave a Reply